Ingredients (Serves 2 to 3)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Bitter gourd – 3, sliced
- Onion – 1 big, sliced thin
- Sambar powder / Red chilli powder – 1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Tamarind – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 2, broken
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Slice the bitter gourd and remove the seeds. Add salt and set it aside for 10 to 15 mins.
- Place in a colander as it leaves out water.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water.
- In a pan. Add oil, mustard, red chillies and curry leaves. Add onion and sauté till brown.
- Squeeze water from the bitter gourd. Add the bitter gourd to the pan and mix well.
- Add sambar or red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well to coat all the pieces with the masala.
- Add tamarind water and allow it to boil.
- Boil till the bitter gourd is cooked. The water reduces and it forms a semi gravy.
- Serve as a side dish with any variety rice or chapati. We had with coconut rice.