Skip to content
Ingredients (Makes 9)
- Channa dal – 1 cup
- Fennel – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2, broken
- Hing – a pinch
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Spinach – 1.5 cups, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – to deep fry
- Wash and soak channa dal in enough water for 2 to 3 hrs.
- Firstly grind salt, hing, ginger, green chillies, 1 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Now drain the water from dal and grind it along with the above mixture coarsely without adding water.
- Chop onion and spinach finely.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry.
- In a bowl, add the ground mixture, chopped onion, chopped spinach, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add salt if required and mix them well.
- Roll the mixture into small balls and press them flat to make vadas.
- Drop the vada in hot oil one by one.
- Flip and cook till both sides are fried evenly.
- Transfer the dried vada to a kitchen tissue to drain off excess oil.
- Repeat the same steps for all the vadais.
- My kid who doesn’t prefer spinach in any other form, loves this vada too.
- You can size the vada smaller too.
- Drain the water from the dal well before grinding so the batter doesn’t turn out runny.
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: