This is a usual cough / cold remedy that we follow in our home. Kashayam is a water decoction of herbs and spices that would help to alleviate the symptoms of cold and cough. Easy to prepare at home. It soothes the throat and helps during the bad cold days. You can add palm sugar / honey as you prefer as the decoction might be bitter by itself.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Omam / Ajwain – 3 tsp
- Jeera – 3 tsp
- Pepper – 3 tsp
- Adhi maduram / Liquorice – 2 tsp
- Sitharathai / snap ginger – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom – 4
- Rock salt – a pinch
- Palm sugar / honey – as needed
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch, grated
- Betel leaves – 2
- Powder – 6 tsp
- Dry roast Ajwain, Jeera, Pepper, Adhi maduram, Sitharathai, cloves and cardamom for 5 mins until you get the aroma.
- Cool it down and grind to a powder.
- In a pan, add 2 cups of water.
- Add the ground powder, rock salt, turmeric, grated ginger and betel leaves and allow it to boil for 5 to 10 mins.
- Cool it down and filter.
- Add honey / palm sugar. Have 1/4 cup during your cold, flu and cough days. You will feel better !!!
- This drink tends to increase heat generated by the body and so drinking adequate water is very necessary.
- Not to be consumed by kids under age of 5 without doctor advice.