Milagu Kuzhambu is a traditional and tasty South Indian accompaniment that is prepared with freshly ground masala and tamarind. It is a healthy and has medicinal properties and could be had if you are down with cold.
It goes well with white rice and sesame oil. This is a no onion, no garlic recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 25 mins
- Tamarind – lemon sized
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp heaped
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli – 3
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Water – 2 cups
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 15 mins.
- In a pan, add a tsp oil, red chilli, pepper and fry until the pepper starts spluttering. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves, hing, jeera and fry well till the dal turns golden brown. Cool it down.
- Now grind the above with little water to a smooth paste.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan. Add mustard, hing and curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind water, salt and mix well.
- Allow it to boil in medium flame for 10 mins. Add the ground paste and mix well.
- Simmer and cook until the gravy thickens for around 10 to 12 mins.
- Switch off the flame and have with white rice and vegetable fry / kootu.
We had it with paruppu thogayal and it was just perfect !!!