Chickpea Sweet potato stew is a easy and flavourful gravy that goes well with plain rice / spicy rice varieties. I have already tried the vegetable stew that is prepared in the Kerala, south India. I wanted to try a different combo vegetable stew and used chick peas and sweet potato using coconut milk and mild spices. It turned out so delicious and flavourful.
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
|Soaking time – Overnight|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 35 mins
- Chickpeas – 1/2 cup raw
- Sweet potatoes – 2 medium, peeled and cubed
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Onion – 1, chopped finely
- Ginger – 1 inch, sliced thin
- Garlic – 3, chopped finely
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Onion – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Garlic – 2, sliced thin
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Soak the chickpea in enough water overnight. Change water and cook with water and salt for 5 whistles.
- Fry finely chopped onions, garlic in oil till brown.
- Take a handful of chickpea and marinate with coriander powder, jeera powder and set aside for 5 mins.
- Fry them crisp in enough oil and keep aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil, onion, garlic and when they change colour add slit green chillies and sauté well.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes as salt and fry for 2 mins.
- Add the cooked chickpea after draining water from them and mix well.
- Add thin coconut milk and continue to cook for 10 mins till the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, fried onion and garlic.