The one recipe that I wanted to post for long time. My favourite dessert from the Hyderabad cuisine. Shahi Tukda is a rich, exotic and mouth watering dessert made using deep fried breads coated with sugar water and soaked in saffron and rose flavoured milk.
Indulge in the royal delicacy and let your taste buds enjoy one of the most delicious dessert of India.
Generally the bread will be deep fried in ghee. But in this recipe, I have toasted bread in ghee. I have used white bread which gives the authentic taste but you can use wheat bread too.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 30 mins
- White bread – 3 slices
- Full fat milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – as needed
- Saffron – 10 to 15 strands
- Rose essence – 1/8 tsp
- Cardamom and pistachio – chopped, 2 tbsp
- Heat full fat milk in medium flame stirring often.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar, few saffron strands to it.
- Add rose Essence and continue to boil till it reduce to half.
- Heat a pan and add ghee and toast the bread till it turns brown.
- Remove the edges of the bread and cut it into half.
- To prepare the sugar syrup, heat 1/2 cup water and add 1/4 cup sugar. Boil till it reaches the one string consistency.
- Soak the roasted bread for 15 to 20 secs in the sugar syrup.
- Flip and soak it again for 10 more secs.
- Arrange the soaked in the serving plate.
- Repeat the steps for all the bread pieces.
- Pour in the saffron and rose flavour infused milk over it.
- Garnish with finely chopped pistachio, almonds and some saffron strands and serve immediately.
To get the authentic taste,
- Use full fat milk and boil in medium flame. It takes 25 to 30 mins nearly.
- You should deep fry the bread in ghee.
- Prefer white bread over the brown bread.