Payasam is a sweet / dessert from the Indian sub continent cuisine. It is made by boiling milk, sugar and rice / dal. Generally paruppu payasam will be prepared using moong dal. Here, I have used channa dal instead.
It is a yummy and simple dish which can be prepared quickly for any function / festivals.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
|Soaking time – 3 hours|
Cooking time – 25 mins
- Kadalai paruppu – 1/2 cup, raw
- Jaggery – 150 g
- Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
- Milk – 1.5 cups
- Cardamom – 2, crushed
- Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 6 to 7
- Soak dal in water for 3 hours.
- Pressure cook the dal in 2 cups water for 5 whistles.
- Mash the dal well.
- In a pan, add little water with jaggery and boil them.
- Grind coconut with little water.
- Filter the jaggery water and add them along with ground coconut.
- Add cardamom, mashed dal to it.
- Add milk and boil for 3 mins.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry cashew till golden brown.
- Add the roasted cashews to the payasam.
- Paruppu payasam thickens with time, hence adjust the milk accordingly.