Curd rice is prepared by mixing mashed rice with curd, curd is unsweetened probiotic yogurt and is rich in calcium and helps in digestion.
I didn’t plan to post this in blog, but when I prepared and saw the beauty, I couldn’t resist clicking picture and sharing the same with you all.
It’s my preferred comfort food anytime. It might sound simple and easy to prepare but tastes super yummy. I have used homemade curd to prepare the curd rice.
I always prefer to add tempering. Tempering enhances the taste and makes the dish more delish !!
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup, boiled
- Curd / Dahi – 2 cups
- Salt – as needed
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1.5 tbsp
- Split Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch, chopped
- Green chillies – 2, chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Carrot – 3 tbsp or more, grated
- Pomegranate – for garnishing
- Cook rice in 3 cup of water for 5 whistles. Mushy rice is preferred for this recipe.
- Add boiled milk and mix well. Allow it to cool.
- To temper, add 1tbsp oil, and when hot add mustard, channa dal, urad dal, hing, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves. Add it to the rice.
- Add curd, salt to the rice and mix well.
- Add grated carrot.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds.
Curd rice can be had as such or chilled. You can have them with any vegetable fry or pickle or puli inji. For best taste, don’t use sour curd. Right amount of milk and curd dies the magic !!!
I love them simply as such !!!! Yummmmmmm!!!
You can use store Greek yogurt too. It’s healthy and has more protein than the curd.