Puli Inji is a traditional and exotic pickle prepared in Kerala, South India and no sadhya is complete without it. It is so tasty and is a combination of all flavours sour, sweet and spicy. The main ingredients are ginger, tamarind and green chillies which are mixed in right quantity to make a flavourful, rightly balanced dish.
Thanks to Priya Anantharaman, my SIL for sharing this recipe with us. This is one of her trade mark recipe and I’m so glad to share it with you all.
I’m Priya. I work as a manager in IT for 15 years. I love cooking and like to try different cuisines. It’s a stress buster and a hobby for me.
Cooking teaches confidence, focus, patience and love. I believe that the joy of cooking lies in cooking for friends and family.
Ingredients (Makes 250 g)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 40 mins
- Ginger – 250 g
- Tamarind – 75 g
- Green chillies – 200 g
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp, powdered
- Sesame oil – 5 to 6 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tbsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – as needed
- Grate ginger finely.
- Grind green chillies coarsely.
- Extract tamarind paste by soaking in hot water for 15 mins.
- In a pan, add 3 tbsp oil and when hot add mustard, channa dal, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and allow it to splutter.
- Add the grated ginger and sauté for a min.
- Add the coarsely ground green chillies.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and saute well for 10 mins till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tamarind water to the pan and allow it to boil.
- Add hing and continue to boil for 25 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, jaggery to it and continue boiling for 5 mins.
- Switch off and TOP with more sesame oil.
- Once cool down, store it in an air tight container and refrigerate. Stays good for 3 – 4 weeks.
It can be had as a pickle along with rice !!!