Ada pradhaman is a rich and delicious traditional dessert from Kerala, South India. It is prepared by cooking rice ada in coconut milk and jaggery.
Today being Onam, thought to try this tasty dessert. You can use store bought rice ada or make it at home. I have used home made rice ada in this recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 5)
|Soaking time – 2 hours|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 250 to 300g
- Coconut milk (thick) – 1 cup
- Coconut milk (thin) – 1.5 cups
- Cardamom – 3, crushed
- Cashew – 8 to 10
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Soak rice in enough water for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, drain the water and grind rice into smooth paste with 2 tbsp water.
- Wash and cut banana leaves into squares. Remove the stem. Grease the banana leaves with coconut oil.
- Add one small ladle of the prepared rice flour batter and make ada by flattening it with your hands.
- Roll the leaves and fasten it with a thread.
- Place them in a steamer/ idli cooker and steam for 10 mins.
- Allow them to cool.
- Once cooked, open and cut them into pieces.
- Boil water and add jaggery to it. Boil till the jaggery liquidizes. Filter the liquid for any impurities.
- Add the cut ada pieces, 1 tbsp ghee to the jaggery and cook for 3 mins.
- Add crushed cardamom, 1 cup of thin coconut milk and continue to cook for another 3 mins.
- Add 1.5 cups of thick coconut milk and mix well in low flame.
- Switch off once it starts to boil.
- Fry the cashew in 1 tbsp ghee till they turn golden brown.
- Add the cashews to the ada pradaman.
Enjoy the authentic and mouthwatering ada pradhaman !!! It was so rich, creamy and tasty !!
- If using store bought ada, cook according to the package instructions and then use.
- You can use red rice instead of white raw rice.
- Be careful not to add more water while preparing ada.
- If the batter turns out to be runny, add a tbsp of rice flour to it.
- 1/2 cup raw rice yielded 1 cup ada pieces.
- Adjust jaggery as per your preference. I had used 350g of jaggery. It was so yummy and a bit on the sweeter side as we preferred that way.