We always love to try different chutney varieties. I saw my friend Monisha’s video recipe (Moni’s healthy kitchen and lifestyle) of Kara chutney and it was so so tempting that I wanted to try it too !!
Here is the video link of her recipe !! She has such awesome recipes in her channel do check out !! I have altered the recipe a little as per my preference. This Kara chutney is so spicy and made using red chilli, garlic, onion and tomato.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Small onions – 10
- Red chillies – 5
- Byadagi Red Chilli – 4
- Garlic – 15 to 20, slit
- Tomato – 1, finely chopped
- Tamarind – lemon sized
- Salt – as required
- Sesame oil – 5 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- In a pan, addd 3 tbsp oil and fry red chillies, tamarind. Fry till the red chillies change colour.
- Remove the red chillies and continue to fry tamarind till soft.
- Add small onions, garlic and fry till they change colour.
- Add tomatoes, salt and fry till they are mushy.
- Cool down and grind without adding any water.
- Again in same pan add 2 tbsp oil, mustard, urad dal, hing and curry leaves.
- Switch off when when the curry leaves start spluttering and add the ground chutney.
- Mix well in the heat and they are ready to be served !!
Hot and spicy Kara chutney can be had with dosa, idli or rice !! We had with rava idli and it was yumm !!!
Do try this mouth watering recipe and let us know your comments !!!