Tomorrow is Vinayagar Chaturthi and I thought this is the right time to post this tasty kozhukattai/ Modak recipe. This kozhukattai poornam is made with very less ingredients and was so yummy and we even had it as such !!
Ingredients ( Makes 8 to 10)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 25 mins
- Rice flour / Idiyappam flour – 3/4 cup
- Channa dal – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 75 gms
- Fresh coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom / Elachi powder – a pinch
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Sesame oil – as needed
- Soak the channa dal for 2 to 3 hours.
- Pressure cook them in 1.5 to 2 cups water for 5 whistles.
- Wait for the pressure to settle and mash them well.
- In a bowl, take the rice flour and add salt, hot water. Mix to form a soft dough with little oil.
- Let it rest for sometime. Meanwhile prepare the stuffing.
- In a pan, add water, jaggery powder and mix well in medium flame.
- Add coconut and cardamom powder.
- Add mashed channa dal and mix for 8 to 10 minutes until the poornam thickens.
- Now take the prepared rice flour dough, and make small balls out of it.
- Grease your hands with oil and press the balls flat and make the edges thin.
- Place 2 tbsp of the the stuffing / poornam prepared in the centre.
- Now press the edges against each other to make the kozhukattai.
- Repeat the steps to prepare all the kozhukattais.
- Grease idli / idiyappam plates with oil and steam the kozhukattais for 7 to 8 mins.
- The sweet channa dal poornam kozhukattais are ready.
- To prepare the home made rice flour, check the link here.