Sriracha sauce is from the Thai cuisine. It is a spicy sauce made of chillies, garlic, vinegar and brown sugar. Sriracha sauce is used as a condiment to enhance the flavour of noodles, soups or can be served as a dip too !!
You can use fresh or fermented chilli peppers to prepare the sauce. Generally the red jalapeño chilli pepper variety is used to make the sauce. Here I have made with the bird’s eye chilli / Thai chilli variety. The hotness and consistency of the sauce may vary depending on the variety of chilli pepper used.
Ingredients (Makes 1/2 cup)
|Soaking time – Overnight|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Bird’s eye red chilli – 12
- Garlic – 4, chopped
- White vinegar – 1/2 cup
- Water – as needed
- Brown sugar -2 tbsp
- Ferment the red chillies overnight by soaking it in vinegar and brown sugar overnight.
- Boil the fermented red chilli mixture for 15 mins. Make sure to close and cook as it has a strong hot smell.
- Stir well and switch off.
- Cool down and grind it to smooth.
- Filter the sauce to remove the seeds if any.
The hot and spicy Sriracha sauce is ready !!! You can refrigerate and use it for upto 10 days.
- You can use either red jalapeño peppers / Thai chilli pepper or mix of both too.
- Adjust the S sugar level depending on the spiciness you need. Mine was too hot !!!