This is the first guest post from Sweskitchen by Sudha !!! She is a very close friend of mine and I can’t thank her enough for the support. She never misses to try my recipes and share her feedback.
Hi!! I’m Sudha, mom of 2 girls residing in Singapore. I love to do arts and crafts. I also like to explore different food varieties. I enjoy cooking them and having them with my family.
Black urad dal also known as split black gram is one of the famous lentils used in South Asia. It’s rich in protein, iron and folate and extensively used in Ayurvedic medicines. It’s used in preparation of dosa, vada.
Here I have tried the easy and nutritious rice recipe using Black urad dal.
Ingredients (Serves 2 to 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Soaking time – 20 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Black urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Parboiled rice – 1 cup
- Cumin / Jeera – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 10 cloves, chopped
- Salt – as needed
- Water – 5 cups
- Soak rice in enough water 20 mins.
- In pan fry jeera , fenugreek separately till they splutter and keep them aside.
- Fry black urad dal till it turns aromatic.
- Now add roasted fenugreek and jeera with the urad dal in pan. Add water and let it boil.
- Drain water from the soaked rice and add it along with garlic, salt.
- Add 5 cups water and allow it to cook for 10 mins.
- Once it’s half cooked, simmer and close and cook for around 10 mins till done.
- The flavourful and yummy Urad dal rice is ready !!!
We had them with brinjal ghotsu and it was the perfect combo !!!
- You can use raw rice instead of parboiled rice, adjust the water quantity accordingly.