Rajma / Red Kidney beans are an excellent plant-based source of protein. They’re also rich in various minerals, vitamins, fibers and antioxidants.
Rajma Pulao is a easy, healthy and protein rich dish that can be prepared with minimum ingredients.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Soaking time – Overnight|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Rajma / Red kidney beans – 1/2 cup, raw
- Basmati rice – 3/4 cup
- Onion – 1, sliced thin
- Tomato – 1 small, chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chilli – 2, slit
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt – as needed
- Butter / Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Wash and Soak the Rajma overnight.
- Pressure cook the Rajma for 2 whistles. Instead of pressure cooking, you can boil for 10 minutes too. It will be semi cooked.
- Wash and soak the Basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil / gheee, add the Bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves , cardamom and cumin.
- Add onion, green chillies and fry till onions turn transparent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes and little salt and sauté till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add garam masala, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and sauté well.
- Add the semi cooked Rajma to the pan.
- Add salt, water and allow it to boil.
- Now drain water from the rice and add the rice to the pan.
- Mix well and check for salt.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook in lowest flame possible for a whistle.
- Open the cooker once the pressure subsides and fluff the rice
Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy !!!
- Cooking time and water quantity may vary depending on the soaking time and basmati rice variety.
- Pulao was mildly spiced.