Aval / Poha also known as flattened rice is a great source of carbohydrates. It’s light on your tummy and can be used to make a variety of dishes both sweet and savoury.
I have made payasam / Kheer with the poha. It’s made for festivals like Krishna Jayanthi and is so tasty and rich. I have used thin flake poha here in this recipe but you can use medium thick flakes too.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Poha / Aval – 1 cup, thin
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Brown sugar – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom – 2, crushed
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Cashew – 7 to 8, broken
- Saffron strands – for garnishing
- In a pan, add 1.5 tbsp ghee and roast poha till crisp.
- Add water and milk and allow it to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed cardamom / Elachi.
- Add sugar and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. I used thin variety poha and it got cooked under 5 minutes.
- In 1.5 tbsp ghee, roast cashew till golden brown.
- Add the roasted cashews to the kheer and serve warm or cold. Garnish with saffron strands.
- Time, milk quantity may vary depending on the thickness of poha used.
- Adjust the sugar based on your taste. Mine was mildly sweet.