Kozhukattais are always linked to festivals for me from childhood. They are my favourite food during festivals especially Varalakshmi viratham and vinayagar chatturthi.
They can be made either spicy or sweet. This is a sweet recipe made from coconut and jaggery. This poornam/ stuffing is so easy to prepare and doesn’t require much time.
Ingredients (Makes 8 to 10)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Rice flour / Idiyappam flour – 3/4 cup
- Fresh coconut – 1 cup
- Jaggery / Vellam – 200 gms, powdered
- Cardamom / Elachi powder – a pinch
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Sesame oil – as needed
- In a bowl, take the rice flour and add salt, hot water. Mix to form a soft dough with little oil.
- Let it rest for sometime. Meanwhile prepare the stuffing.
- In a pan, add water, jaggery powder and mix well in medium flame.
- Add coconut and cardamom powder and mix for 5 minutes until the poornam thickens.
- Now take the prepared rice flour dough, and make small balls out of it.
- Grease your hands with oil and press the balls flat and make the edges thin.
- Place 2 tbsp of the the stuffing / poornam prepared in the centre.
- Now press the edges against each other to make the kozhukattai.
- Repeat the steps to prepare all the kozhukattais.
- Grease idli / idiyappam plates with oil and steam the kozhukattais for 7 to 8 min.
- The sweet thengaai poornam kozhukattais / vella kozhukattais are ready.
You can enjoy them any day and make the day special !!
- Keep the rice flour dough covered when not using to preserve moisture.