Kozhukattais are a South Indian snack / delicacy prepared especially during festival season. Uppu kozhukattai is a spicy version made during varalakshmi viratham, Vinayagar chaturti. They complement the sweet kozhukattais.
They are made using whole urad dal mixed with green chilli and coconut.
Ingredients (Makes 9)
|Soaking time – 1 hour|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Idiyappam flour / Rice flour – 3/4 cup
- Whole urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 3
- Desiccated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Hing – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt – as required
- Oil – as required
- In a bowl, take the rice flour and add salt, hot water. Mix to form a soft dough with little oil and let it rest for sometime.
- Wash and soak urad dal for 1 hour.
- Drain the water from the dal and grind with salt, green chillies, coconut and hing.
- Grease a idli / Idiyappam plate with little oil and place the ground mixture.
- Steam 6 to 7 minutes.
- Cool down and crumble it.
- In a pan, heat oil, mustard, hing and curry leaves.
- Add the crumbled dal and give a stir and switch off the stove.
- Make small balls of the prepared dough and keep it covered.
- Now take a ball and press it flat and thin the edges.
- Place 1 to 2 tbsp of the urad dal mixture in it.
- Close and seal the kozhukattais as shown.
- Steam them in idli plates greased with oil for 5 to 7 minutes and the yummy uppu Kozhukattai is ready.
You can enjoy them any day !!!
- Adjust the green chillis according to your spice levels. Mine was moderately spicy.