Festive season is approaching and Sundal is a definite dish in the menu. They are easy to prepare and nutritious too. This is a no onion, no garlic sundal with homemade spice powder. The homemade spice powder adds a special taste and flavor to the sundal.
Green peas sundal also called as Pattani sundal is made from dried green peas.
Ingredients (Serves 3 to 4)
|Soaking time – Overnight|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Dried green peas/ pattani – 1 cup
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing / Asafoetida – a pinch
To roast and grind
- Dried red chilli – 3, broken
- Whole Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- White sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the dried green peas overnight.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles with enough water and salt.
- Dry roast the channa dal, urad dal, redchilli and white sesame seeds. Switch off the flame and add the desiccated coconut.
- Cool down and grind to a fine powder.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard, curry leaves and hing.
- Once it starts to splutter, add the pressure cooked green peas, salt and fry for a minute.
- Add the prepared spice powder.
- Mix to coat the peas completely.
This sundal is so flavorsome with the homemade spice powder !!!
- Adjust the spice according to your taste. Mine is moderately spiced.
- I have used desiccated coconut, you can use fresh coconut too. Dry roast well before adding.