Sundal is a healthy, traditional South Indian dish which can be had as a snack. Sundal is generally prepared during festivals / poojas. It can be made using different legumes.
In this recipe, I have used black chickpea / Kala channa which is rich in folates and anti-oxidants. They are protein rich and vegan.
Ingredients (Serves 3 to 4)
|Soaking time – Overnight|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Kala Channa – 1 cup, raw
- Onion – 1, finely chopped (Optional)
- Red Chilli – 2
- Coconut – 3 tbsp, grated
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt – as required
- Sesame oil – as required
- Wash and soak the channa in enough water for 12 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water and pressure cook in medium flame with enough water and salt for 6 whistles. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard, red chilli, urad dal, hing and curry leaves.
- Once splutters, add the finely chopped onions (if you use) and saute till it change color.
- Drain the water from the channa and add the channa to the pan.
- Add salt and stir fry for a minute.
- Add grated coconut, give a stir and switch off.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
We enjoyed this high protein South Indian style chickpea sundal as a snack !!!
- You can use fresh or desiccated coconut.
- If you are preparing for any festivals, the onions can be skipped.