Kozhukattais are always linked to festivals for me from childhood. They are my favourite food during festivals especially vinayagar chatturthi.
They can be made either spicy or sweet. This is a sweet recipe made from sesame seeds and jaggery.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Rice flour/ Idiyappam flour – 3/4 cup
- Black Sesame seeds / Ellu – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery / Vellam – 1/4 cup, powdered
- Cardamom / Elachi powder – a pinch
- Salt – as needed
- Sesame oil – as needed
- In a bowl, take the rice flour and add salt, hot water. Mix to form a soft dough with little oil.
- Let it rest for sometime. Meanwhile prepare the stuffing.
- To prepare the stuffing, dry roast the sesame seeds till fragrant.
- Cool down and grind with powdered jaggery and cardamom.
- Now take the prepared rice flour dough, and make small balls out of it.
- Grease your hands with oil and press the balls flat and make the edges thin.
- Place 2 tbsp of the the stuffing prepared in the centre.
- Now press the edges against each other to make the kozhukattai.
- Repeat the steps to prepare all the kozhukattais.
- Grease idli / idiyappam plates with oil and steam the kozhukattais for 7 to 8 min.
- The sweet ellu kozhukattais are ready.
Festivals are lining up and now I can’t wait to taste them again.
You can enjoy them any day and make the day special!!
- Keep the rice flour dough covered when not using to preserve moisture.
- You can use white sesame seeds too.