Filter Kaapi is prepared by mixing frothed and boiled milk with the decoction obtained by brewing of finely ground coffee powder in a traditional Indian filter.
Mornings always start with filter kaapi as the saying “Life Begins after Coffee” for most coffee lovers.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
|Filtering time – 30 mins to 1 hour|
Preparation time – 5 mins
- Filter coffee powder – 4 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Milk – as preferred
- Sugar – As needed
- In a filter, add 3 tbsp of coffee powder on the top compartment of the traditional filter.
- Place the perforated attachment on top of the coffee powder and again add 1 tbsp of coffee powder.
- Now add hot water to it.
- Wait for the decoction to be collected at the bottom of the filter.
- Boil milk and keep it ready.
- In a tumbler / glass, add 1/4 cup of decoction and 3/4 cup milk. Add sugar if you like.
- Make it frothy by transferring the prepared coffee to and fro between two cups. I have used a dabbara (cup) and tumbler (glass) as it’s called traditionally.
Enjoy the aromatic and most refreshing Kaapi !!!
- Do not use instant coffee powder to prepare filter coffee.
- The black coffee lovers can skip adding milk and mix water with the decoction.
- You can prepare a second decoction, by adding some more hot water to the coffee powder already in the filter. It will not be strong though.