Sweet Poli / Boli / Obbattu is a famous street food in South India, which is a flat bread stuffed with sweet lentil filling. The flat breads are generally made using all purpose flour and the stuffing is made using channa dal.
Here, I’ve tried making the flat breads using whole wheat flour and the stuffing using whole green gram.
Ingredients (Makes 10 to 12)
|Soaking time – 3 to 4 hours|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Raw green gram – 1/2 cup
- Powdered Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – 1/4 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Salt – as required
- Ghee – as required
- Water – as required
- Soak the raw green gram in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water and pressure cook the green gram for 4 whistles.
- In a mixer, add jaggery, cooked green gram, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and grind it to a smooth paste without adding water.
- To prepare the stuffing / poornam, transfer the content to a pan and cook in medium flame for 4 to 5 mins.
- Stir it continuously until the mixture thickens. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Once cooled, roll the stuffing into small balls.
- In a bowl, add the whole wheat flour, salt, water and knead it to a soft dough.
- Make small balls from the dough and flatten them.
- Place the poornam / stuffing balls in the center.
- Fold the edges.
- Flatten them with ghee using your hands.
- Heat a tawa, drizzle ghee and place the flattened bread.
- Let it cook till the base turns golden brown. Flip, add a little more ghee and cook till done.
Transfer it to a plate and enjoy with ghee drizzled over it.
- Don’t use water while grinding to prepare the poornam mixture.