Aviyal is a simple yet delicious curry made with vegetables, coconut and yogurt. It is a famous and tasty dish of South Indian cuisine that goes well with rice and adai.
Some vegetables commonly used with aviyal are yam, plantain, potato, pumpkin, carrots, beans, cucumber, drum sticks, snake gourd and broad beans.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Potato – 1 big, cut into pieces
- Broad beans – 8 to 10, cut into pieces
- Drumstick – 1, small cut into pieces
- Yam – 5 to 6 small
- Carrot – 1, small and cut into cubes
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated and tightly packed
- Green chillies – 2
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Pressure cook the vegetables with little salt for one whistle.
- Grind coconut, Jeera, green chillies and ginger with little water to form a smooth paste.
- In a pan, add the cooked vegetables.
- Add the ground coconut paste and salt.
- Mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Switch off the flame and add the yogurt.
- Mix well carefully.
- Temper with coconut oil, mustard and curry leaves.
Relish the delicious aviyal with rice or adai. We had with puliyodarai and it was a great combo !!
- Tempering with coconut oil and curry leaves adds a special flavor to the dish so try not to skip it.
- You can adjust the consistency as you prefer.
- You can add vegetables of your choice.
- Switch off the flame add add yogurt to prevent curdling.