Tapioca or Kappa also known as Cassava is rich in carbohydrates. When taken in moderate amount is useful for weight gain.
It is also a gluten free alternative to wheat. This tasty kappa fry with coconut is a perfect blend of spices and tastes delicious.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Tapioca – 2, peeled and cut into cubes
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
To roast and grind
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2
- Red chillies – 3
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Fennel – 1 tbsp
- Fresh Coconut – 1/2 grated
- Boil the cubed Tapioca in enough water with salt till done.
- Drain and cool down.
- Dry roast and grind the ingredients given except coconut and keep it aside.
- Add coconut and dry roast for a minute.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil and temper with mustard, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add the Tapioca and fry for a minute.
- Add the ground spices and toss well to coat all the pieces with the powder.
- Fry in medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the dry roasted coconut.
- Garnish with curry leaves and can be served as an accompaniment to rice !!!!
- You can replace fresh coconut with desiccated coconut and skip the roasting part.
- Take care when cooking tapioca, as they can turn mushy.