Peerkangai / Ridge gourd is generally used to make kootu / gravy. Ridge gourd is an excellent blood purifier and also said to help in weight loss.
In this recipe I have used the skin of the Ridge gourd to prepare thogayal which could be used as a side for tiffins like idly, dosa or can be mixed with rice and ghee.
Ingredients (Serves 3 to 4)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Ridge gourd – 1, skin peeled
- Whole urad dal – 2 tbsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 2 tbsp, grated
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt – As required
- Oil – 2 tsp
- In a pan, add 1 tsp oil and fry urad dal, channa dal, red chillies, pepper and curry leaves till they turn golden brown.
- Add coconut and give a stir and keep it aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp oil, Ridge gourd skin peels and fry for 4 to 5 mins till they are cooked.
- Switch off and cool.
- Transfer to a blender and grind everything smooth by adding little water.
The Thogayal is ready to be served. Enjoy the uniquely tasting thogayal !!!
- You can adjust the red chillis and pepper quantity based on your spice levels. My version was moderately spiced.