The tender inner stem of the banana tree is very nutritious and has a lot of medicinal properties. It is rich in fiber and helps in digestion, clearing kidney stones.
The Banana Stem soup is usually paired with Burmese Atho but it can be had separately too.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Vazhathandu / Banana stem – 1 cup
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Small onions / Shallots – 5 to 6, roughly chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Besan flour / kadalai maavu – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Coriander leaves – For garnishing
- Fried onions – For garnishing
- Fried garlic – For garnishing
- Water – As required
- Cut Banana stem into pieces and add them to a bowl of water. Remember to remove the fibers.
- Soak moong dal in 1/4 cup warm water for 15 mins.
- Pressure cook moong dal with Banana stem, shallots, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder along with 1 cups of water for 4 whistles.
- Cool down and mix them well.
- Add besan flour mixed with 1/2 cup water to the pan and boil in low flame.
- Add water if needed to get the desired consistency.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with fried onions, fried garlic and coriander leaves.
Enjoy the healthy soup. We had this with Burmese Atho and it was delicious !!!
- Remember to remove the fiber from the banana stems carefully as it is the tricky and most important part.