Chutney is an important side in the South Indian tiffin varieties. I prepare different kinds of tomato chutneys and this recipe using whole tomatoes is unique and one of my favorites.
Spicy Tomato Garlic Chutney is prepared by grinding roasted whole tomatoes with garlic and red chillies. The dominant flavor of garlic with the whole tomatoes adds a special taste to the chutney.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Tomato – 2 Medium sized
- Garlic – 12 – 15 big cloves, roughly chopped
- Red Chillies – 4
- Tamarind – a small goose berry sized
- Salt – As required
- Sesame Oil – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- In a pan, add oil and roast red Chillies till they change color and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add garlic and saute till they turn golden brown in color and keep them aside.
- Now add the whole tomatoes to the pan and cook them evenly on all sides.
- After everything cools down, transfer them to a mixer and grind them smooth. If required, you can slit the tomatoes before grinding.
- Temper with the ingredients and add them to the chutney.
- The spicy chutney is ready to be served !!!
We had the Spicy Tomato Garlic Chutney with poha dosa and it was yummy and a perfect combination !!! Please find the recipe for the Poha Dosa here.
- Make sure to roast the ingredients separately in medium flame.
- Adjust the red chillies accordingly as per your spice levels.