Poha, also called as Aval, are flattened rice flakes. The Poha Dosas are very soft and fluffy and are prepared by grinding rice with poha and curd and requires fermentation.
This is one of the healthy South Indian breakfast which are served with chutneys and sambar. The fenugreek seeds and curd helps in fermentation and enhances the flavor of the dosa.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Soaking time – 4 to 5 hours|
Fermentation time – 8 hours / overnight
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Whole Urad dal – 1/4 cup
- Poha / Aval – 3/4 cup
- Curd – 3/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Oil – As required
- Soak the rice with urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Mix poha with curd and soak for 45 mins to 1 hour till poha absorbs the curd.
- To prepare the dosa batter, grind the soaked rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds along with salt.
- Add the soaked poha and grind further until you get the smooth texture.
- Allow the batter to ferment overnight. Once fermented, mix the batter well.
- Heat a tawa and drizzle oil.
- When hot, pour a ladle of batter and cook it covered till the base turns light brown in color.
- Flip and cook if required. Repeat the steps to prepare the dosas.
- The poha dosa is ready to be served !!!
Serve it hot with Chutney or Sambar. We had it with Spicy Tomato Garlic Chutney. Please find the recipe for the spicy chutney here.
- You can add 1/2 tsp baking soda after grinding to speed up the fermentation process.