Medu Vadai is a typical South Indian specialty which is made by deep frying Urad Dal batter. It is usually served with Sambar, Coconut Chutney.
This healthy Mixed Veg Medu Vadai made by adding variety of vegetables with the urad dal batter is a kids favorite.
Ingredients (Makes 16 pieces)
|Soaking time – 3 to 4 hours|
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Whole Urad Dal – 1 cup, soaked for 3 hours
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Orange and Red Bell peppers – 1/4 cup each, finely chopped
- Carrot – 1/2, finely chopped
- Cabbage – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 2, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig, finely chopped
- Salt – As required
- Oil – to deep fry
- Soak Urad Dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain and grind it into a fluffy batter with very little water. DO NOT add salt while grinding.
- Chop the vegetables finely.
- In a pan, heat oil in medium flame for deep frying.
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it with the batter.
- Wet your palm with water and take a small portion of the batter. Make it round shape with a hole in the center.
- When the oil is hot, slowly slide in the batter.
- Flip and deep fry both the sides until it is crispy and golden brown.
- Repeat the steps. You can deep fry 3 to 4 pieces simultaneously depending on the size of your pan.
- Drain the excess oil and the Mixed Veg Vadai is ready to be served !!!
Mixed Veg Vadai can either be had for breakfast or as an evening snack. We had it as a breakfast with Sambar and it was yummy !!!
- Don’t add too much water as the Vadai will absorb oil while deep frying.
- Remember to deep fry immediately after adding the Vegetables and salt to the batter.
- If the batter turns watery, you can add 2 to 3 tbsp of rice flour.