Biryani is an all time favorite food for many, including me. Being a rice loving person, I tend to try various versions of Biryani. Dum Biryani is super flavorful and tasty of all.
Dum Biryani is a classic dish of the Mughals. When it comes to the vegetarian version, Paneer Dum Biryani stands out. Here is my version.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 15 mins|
Marination time – 2 hours
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Fresh or Frozen Paneer / Cottage Cheese – 200 gms
- Fried Onions – 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri methi – a pinch crushed
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt – As required
For Cooking Rice
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Green chillies – 2 slit
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Saffron – 10 to 12 strands
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium sized, fried
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup tightly packed
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup tightly packed
- Butter / Oil – 1 tbsp
- Soak rice for 30 mins.
- In a pan, add butter, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, jeera and green chillies and saute for a minute.
- Add soaked rice and 2 cups water.
- Cook the rice and let it cool.
- In a pan add oil and fry onions till brown.
- Add the saffron strands to warm milk and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add curd and whisk it smooth.
- Mix all the spice powders (dry ingredients) in a separate bowl.
- Add ginger garlic paste, all the dry ingredients to the curd and mix well.
- Add paneer, fried onions, 2 tbsp mint leaves, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, salt, lemon juice and mix carefully.
- Refrigerate the marinated paneer for at least 2 hours. Can leave overnight too.
- Place a Tawa on the stove and place a wide pan on it.
- Start layering with rice, marinated paneer , fried onions , mint and coriander leaves and drizzle some saffron milk all over.
- Repeat the layering.
- Cover the pan with aluminium foil and place a heavy lid on top.
- Cook in medium flame for 5 minutes. Then simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let it cool for a while and mix it. Yummy tasty Paneer Dum Biryani is ready to be served !!!
- Marinate overnight for best results.
- Take care not to break the rice while mixing.
- The process of Dum can be done using oven as well.
- If using frozen paneer, keep it immersed in hot water till use.