Bitter Gourd / Karela / Paavakkai is always known for its bitterness. However, this recipe is a deep fried version which reduces the bitterness without any extra ingredients.
Bitter Gourd has several benefits like maintaining blood sugar levels, weight loss and boosting the immune system. This recipe is great for those who avoid bitter gourds, especially kids.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Bitter Gourd / Paavakkai – 5 medium sized, sliced
- Sambhar powder – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Rice flour – 3 tbsp
- Corn flour – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Oil – to deep fry
- Water – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Slice the Bitter gourd and remove the seeds.
- Mix the sambhar powder, turmeric, rice flour, corn flour and salt in a plate.
- Add bitter gourd slices to the mixture.
- Sprinkle water and make sure that the mix is coated evenly on the bitter gourds.
- Heat oil in a kadai and when hot, add few slices of the bitter gourds to deep fry.
- Flip the bitter gourds to make sure that they are evenly fried.
- Cook in medium flame until the bubbles and sound subsides.
- Drain the oil from the bitter gourd and serve it with rice or can have as such.
- Though it takes time for the bitter gourds to get cooked, make sure to cook in medium flame and flip often to get evenly fried crispy bitter gourds.