Raw Banana / Vazhakkai fry is a tasty and crispy side made with little oil on a tawa. Raw bananas are rich in fiber, good for diabetes and an excellent source of vitamins.
This recipe is our family favorite. It is mildly spiced and roasted over a iron tawa. Raw Bananas can be deep fried or stir fried too.
Ingredients (Serves 2 to 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Raw Banana – 2 (medium sized)
- Sambhar powder – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – as needed
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Cut the raw banana into slices of medium size and immerse in water till use.
- Add sambhar powder, turmeric powder and salt to a plate and mix.
- Drain the slices and add to the powder mixture such that each piece is well coated with spice powder.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat an iron tawa and grease with oil .
- Arrange the slices in the tawa with the slices separated from each other.
- Drizzle oil over the pieces and cook covered for 2 mins and flip and cook covered for another 2 minutes.
- Flip again and continue cooking in open till done.
- Remove from the tawa and temper with curry leaves. Serve as side to any rice.
- Make sure that the slices are evenly sized and neither too thick nor thin.
- Instead of sambhar powder, you can use coriander powder mixed with red chilli powder.
- I prefer cooking the raw bananas covered for initial 4 to 5 mins.