Paneer pakoras are mildly spiced deep fried snack that can be made really quick. An easy tea time snack to munch on.
Paneer or cottage cheese is a fresh cheese commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is crumbly in nature and serves as a good source of protein. Paneer can be made at home by curdling of milk (will post the recipe soon).
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Paneer / Cottage cheese (fresh / frozen) – 200 gms
- Gram flour / kadalai maavu – 3/4 cup
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ajwain / Omam – a generous pinch
- Jeera / Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Corriander powder – 1/4 tsp
- Amchur powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat masala – to sprinkle
- salt- as needed
- Oil – for deep frying
- Cut paneer into cubes. If using frozen paneer soak in hot water till use.
- Mix all the spice powders and salt in a bowl.
- Add Gram Flour to it.
- Mix with water to form a paste.
- Add paneer to the mix.
- Deep fry the paneer in medium flame.
- Serve it with tomato ketchup or green chutney. (Refer to the green chutney recipe here).
- Remember to soak frozen paneer in hot water till use. Drain water completely from the paneer and add to the gram flour mix.
- Fry in medium flame and turn often to cook evenly.