Schezwan sauce is a hot and spicy sauce made from red chillies, onion and garlic. It is used mostly in Indo-Chinese cuisine. It also serves as a spicy dip.
Ingredients (makes 3/4 cup)
|Preparation time – 30 mins|
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Red chillies – 20
- Sesame Oil – ¼ cup
- Onion – 1 or shallots – 5 to 6
- Garlic – 8 large cloves finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp crushed
- Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Salt – as needed
- Soak red chillies in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Grind the chillies to a smooth paste with little water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, onion, ginger and stir just enough not to make them brown.
- Add the ground chilli paste and let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and ¼ cup water and boil till the sauce thickens.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool. Transfer it to an air tight container once it is completely cooled down. Can be stored in fridge for up to 10 days.